Sunday 16 October 2011

Persuation on .. Gumtree?

     For the past two days, I have been searching the Gumtree for a second-hand electric guitar and amplifier. It didn't take long before I found a really good deal from a very nice guy in North London that was selling his Fender Stratocaster copy for a more-than-reasonable sum.


     How was I able to squeeze some extras from him, for the same amount? And by "some extras".. I don't mean a couple of guitar picks.. I mean a gig bag, one strap, picks, fine adjustment Allen wrench.. as well as him coming to the nearest DLR station from my home, instead of the other way around.
     Well, to be honest, it wasn't too hard for me, nor something learned in school, more than just common sense.
Firstly, being polite and respectful are key facts. "Thank you in advance and keep in touch"  for instance may seem like nothing, but you can totally make a difference by using such words.

     As a personal (..let's call it) "strategy", your interest in any types of communication has to be very well "dressed": using an introductory phrase is mandatory and, as I do it, the longer the better, because you distract the receiver from the main subject of discussion, you get to know him a little more and if you do it well enough (and why not, if luck is on your side) you can manage getting beneath his skin and to the soft spot. Moreover, continuing to inject side stories from time to time in the content of the actual  "mission" is welcome and has the same effect.

"Do you think you could slip a mains and some picks in the price? Maybe you have a gig bag as well? I don't want to be too pushy! But if you accept, I would be more than happy to purchase the gear" . By that I actually meant that I'm not happy with just the guitar for the money, and he should actually add some more stuff to the price. Of course, I bluffed.. the price was more than sufficient, but once I've got to know the person a little more, I could afford doing it.

     Being open, sincere and not being afraid to say you're sorry for something that you might do or have already done has a great impact to the receiver, because it shows that you are human, that mistaking is natural and you're not talking down on him. That is power, because it inflicts trust, and therefore, it enables you to start molding his judgement towards your interest. I did that, and I even got more than I asked for.

     Finally, a little bit of "improvising" doesn't hurt at all, as long as you know the limits of course, according to the people you are talking to. " I've been here for only a few weeks, so my knowledge about public transportation is little, so do you think we could meet in Greenwich somewhere for the deal? It would mean a lot to me."   =   "I'm lazy, and I don't intend paying for the transport, so why won't you do that?". However,  never push it too much, and if you do, be sure you know the person enough for you to indulge in doing that.
You could call me profiteer, or thick-skinned for doing that... but hey, it worked!

     "Oh and, I could bring you the guitar to Greenwich" - was the guy's response.
"Hey.. okay I think I will be able to make it at that time.. do you know where the xxxxxx, xxxxx and xxxxx shops are, just as you exit the Cutty Sark station? should I come there? or where else would you want me to wait for you? and, can you give me your phone number, so I could contact you when I get there? mine is 07XXXXXXXXX.. thanks.. " - he added.  So I guess my method DID work !

To sum up, tomorrow I'm getting all this stuff... the way I wanted to get it!
Next step: an amplifier for the guitar. Who knows, maybe I'll get the same results...

In Public Relations, persuasion is a primordial factor  and it should be gained, perfected and used wisely, because, in many cases, it could mean walking on thin ice, so the ability must be undertaken in the most serious and cautious ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment